What to expect
Discover the Gutenstein Alps on our Feels Like the Sound of Music tour. After a short ride from Vienna, we reach the starting point of our pleasant 3-hour hike to the summit of Reisalpe (1.383 m), the highest mountain of the Gutenstein Alps.
The highlight of this Feels Like the Sound of Music tour is that one can reach the top of the mountain within a short time. It is especially magical in spring and autumn. I named it Feels Like the Sound of Music tour because the landscape and the surrounding mountain ranges are reminiscent of the well-known movie.
In the beginning, the trail runs even along a forest road, after a while it gets steep (we have to master 450 metres of height), which makes reaching the peak even more rewarding. It is a lovely and diversified tour with a real countryside feeling in the Pre-Alps – feels like the Sound of Music!
Depending on the season, we can discover rare alpine wildflowers along the trail. We pass by charming mountain huts, pastures, mighty old trees and cows. The highlight of this tour is an amazing 360-degree angle view from the summit where we will take a well-deserved break at the cabin before heading back to the starting point. I recommend this tour to anyone who would like to try an easy mountain hike in the Austrian Pre-Alps.
I consider this Fells like the Sound of Music hike of moderate difficulty. The ascent is steep, conquering 450 metres of height. The peak can be reached in a relatively short time. Alpine terrain, hiking boots are mandatory. Walking time: 3 h. Length: 9 km. Highest point: 1.383 m. Elevation gain/loss: 421 m.
Itinerary Feels like the Sound of Music
- 09.00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10.15 arrival in Ebenwaldhöhe, start of the hike
- 12.30 lunch at the mountain hut (depending on individual walking speed)
- 16.15 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling (complimentary ride). Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf. Alternatively, meet me directly at Ebenwaldhöhe.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes. Complimentary ride from Hütteldorf or meeting directly in Ebenwaldhöhe. Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, and personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Please have enough money in cash with you, the cabin does not accept card payments.
- For this hike, hiking boots with good traction are mandatory (alpine terrain).
- please get in touch with me if you have any questions or have a look at our FAQ.
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered a no-show and not entitled to any refund.