What to expect
The starting point of the Duernstein Wachau for Adventurers Hike is the medieval village of Duernstein. Its charm and the gorgeous landscape surrounding it will delight you. This hiking tour is of medium difficulty and requires trekking boots with a good grip. Dive deeper...
During our Duernstein Wachau for Adventurers hike, we will enjoy fantastic views over the rolling hills, the Danube, the castle ruins and the village of Duernstein. Inhale the air, filled with aromatic scents of the oak and pine trees, rocks and wildflowers. This unique landscape has an almost Mediterranean touch and resembles the ones in Southern Europe.
After having reached the highest point of the hike, we continue with the ascent through a beautiful landscape with interesting rock formations, until we reach the castle ruins of Duernstein. We will enjoy a well-deserved snack and local wine (optional) before heading back to Vienna. You might also want to have a look at our Wachau World Heritage Trail hiking tour.
I consider this hike to Vogelbergsteig of moderate difficulty. Ascents and descents are steep in places and require adequate physical fitness. You should be free from vertigo and sure-footed. The terrain is alpine, rocky and rooted. Walking time is approx. 3 hours, depending on individual speed. Distance: 5 km (3 miles).
Itinerary for Duernstein Wachau for Adventurers
- 09.00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10.00 start of the hike in Dürnstein, Wachau
- 16.00 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes. Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Hiking boots with a good grip are mandatory for participation
- Please bring some money in cash with you. Many restaurants don’t accept card payment
- If you have further questions, please contact me or have a look at our FAQ
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.