What to expect
The mountains close to the border of Vienna are often named the “Viennese Alps”. We start to hike the Viennese alps on an easy forest road with amazing views to Rax mountain which we will climb. Soon, the forest road turns into a narrow, shady and steep trail. In the beginning, the hiking trail is mostly in the forest, but after gaining some height, we will enjoy stunning views into the valley.
The higher we climb, the more impressive the panoramas will be. In the end, the hiking trail is very rocky. After approx. 2,5 hours we reach the plateau of the Rax mountain, having mastered 861 meters of elevation difference. We take a well-deserved break at the mountain hut (1.640 m), enjoying breathtaking views into the valleys, to the neighbouring Schneeberg peak and the vast plateau with its alpine flora. You can try traditional desserts such as yeast dumplings coated with butter and poppy-seeds.
Just below the mountain hut there is an alpine garden, featuring rare alpine flowers and plants. After the break, we explore the other side of the plateau to enjoy another fantastic view into the so-called “hell valley”. Finally we start our way back on a pretty steep downhill path. The hike the Viennese Alps tour will be definitely something to remember.
I consider the hike the Viennese Alps tour a demanding activity. Please only sign up if you are in very good physical shape, have no fear of heights and are sure-footed. Walking time: approx. 4 hours 15 minutes. Elevation gain/loss: 861 m Lowest point: 779 m Highest point: 1.640 m Distance: approx. 9 km
Itinerary Hike the Viennese Alps
- 07.00 departure U3 Kendlerstrasse (exit Opfermanngasse/in front of FitInn fitness club)
- 08.30 start of the hike
- 12.00 lunch break (approx.)
- 15.30 departure
- 17.00 arrival U3 Kendlerstrasse
We meet at U3 Kendlerstrasse/exit Opfermanngasse for carpooling (complimentary ride). Take the U3 subway (orange line) and get off at the stop Kendlerstrasse. Follow the EXIT Opfermanngasse and use the first gate. Wait in front of the FitInn fitness club. Alternatively, meet me directly at Rax.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes. Complimentary ride from Kendlerstrasse or meet directly at Rax. Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Please bring along some money in cash, the mountain hut does not accept card payment
- Hiking boots are mandatory for participation in this hike
- If you have any questions or concerns, contact me or take a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.